A guide to coworking in Australia
Coworking has become somewhat of a business buzzword over the last few years. Coworking spaces are popular everywhere from London and San Francisco to Shanghai and Australia.
But what is coworking? Why is coworking important?
Simply put, coworking means paying a monthly fee to use a shared workspace. If you’re an entrepreneur, freelancer, remote employee, or just need someplace away from home to get things done, then a coworking space is your saviour.
With the popularity of coworking on the rise, there are coworking spaces popping up in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, and Perth. Naturally, this has people wondering about the advantages of coworking spaces and whether coworking vs. home office space is the way to go.
We’ll answer all that and more in this guide to coworking in Australia:
Advantages & benefits of coworking
Some coworking spaces or flexible workspaces are just about having a place to plug in and get work done. They provide the basics of a desk, chair, WiFi, and some air conditioning. For some, that’s more than enough, but it hardly covers all of the advantages or possibilities that coworking spaces provide.
In general, coworking spaces allow you to reap the benefits of shared infrastructure by providing a work setup at a lower cost than leasing private office space. In addition, some coworking spaces are specifically designed for certain fields and allow professionals to network and even mentor each other.
Here are some of the main advantages and benefits of coworking:
- Foster a sense of community — Many coworking spaces host networking events so that you can meet like-minded individuals who may become your customers, partners, employees, or friends.
- Increase productivity — Space away from kids, pets, and all of your other obligations provides the opportunity to get things done free of interruptions and distractions.
- Maintain a sense of flexibility — Not feeling chained to the same desk day in and day out is liberating. With coworking, you have flexible terms meaning you can cancel, downgrade, upgrade, or go to other coworking spaces as needed.
- Boost motivation — Independent work is challenging, and having a sense of camaraderie by working close to people can improve your mental health and motivate you to get more done.
Whilst there are clear benefits to coworking spaces, there is always an element of the unknown. Who will be there? What type of people? Will the community be a positive and aligned representation of my business and brand?
Enter pro-working, the next era in coworking for those who are seeking a more sophisticated, curated and higher quality experience. If you’re interested in learning more, book an office tour today!
Coworking vs. traditional offices vs. working from home
Every decision you make comes with trade-offs, and the same is true for where you decide to work. 2020 found more people than ever working from home, and with coworking on the rise, people are realising that they have options.
So which one is best for you? Let’s explore the three options:
Traditional office space
The typical corporate office space comes with the ability to customise. You can knock down walls, change the art, put your brand up, and tailor it to your company. This type of space also makes it easier to designate areas for private meetings.
On the other hand, traditional leases are expensive and require a long-term commitment. There’s a large upfront cost, and often the added space goes unused for large portions of the workday. A large corporate office also means more overhead since you have to hire people to manage the day-to-day operations that keep it running.
Working from home
Working from home can promote a healthier work-life balance since you’re not spending extra time commuting to work. It also means no direct overhead costs of signing a lease or membership fees. For some, it also means forgoing the added cost of childcare since they can be home as they work.
While working from home is great for many reasons, it’s far from ideal for busy professionals. There are constant interruptions at home, and likely no professional location to meet clients or customers. The amenities are limited, as are the opportunities to network or have human contact.
Shared office space provides the best of both working environments by freeing you from the high costs of leasing but still providing the professional atmosphere that fosters productivity and provides human contact.
What you lose in complete freedom at home, you gain in opportunities to connect with others and dozens of amenities you may not have at home, which we’ll cover in more detail later on.
Our pro-working locations in Australia
If you’re looking for a pro-working space in Australia, Sydney can’t be beaten. Work Club has three Sydney locations to cater to the city’s five million residents and 16 million yearly visitors.
If you’re looking for a pro-working option in Victoria, we also have two spaces in the heart of Melbourne.
We’re also excited to be opening in Canberra in 2021.
Our pro-working utilities & amenities offered
Every coworking space brings its own charm and feel, so it’s hard to pin down a comprehensive list of all available utilities and amenities.
Here at Work Club, we strike a balance between beauty and function. Work comes first, but that doesn’t mean it has to be boring. That’s why you’ll find gorgeous art in our luxurious business lounges and unique, hand-picked furniture in all of our locations.
To provide a closer look at what to expect from pro-working, here’s a short list of amenities we offer at various locations:
- Premium CBD locations across Australia
- Variety of shared spaces with solid timber workstations
- Private suites with the chance to still be part of a wider community
- Large and small meeting rooms that are functional and aesthetically pleasing
- High-end hotel style concierge service
- Unlimited printing, scanning & copying
- Boutique function rooms & events spaces
- In house food and beverage services from coffees to cocktails
- Complimentary coffee, tea & fresh fruit daily
- Retail stores that sell designer stationery, travel accessories, and giftware, so you don’t have to venture out for the little things
- Latest Audio/ visual & video conferencing equipment
- Seamless hi-speed wifi
- Florence Guild events & experiences
- Lots of natural light
- Luxury end of trip facilities – including showers, towel service & hair straighteners
- Bike racks
- COVID safe spaces – with daily cleaning
For more information, check out our list of club locations for a complete breakdown of amenities.
The amenities and aesthetics of your coworking space are important, but most people rely heavily on technology these days to get their job done quickly and efficiently.
When picking the right coworking space, you’ll want ultra high-speed internet, so you’re always connected to everything and everyone. In addition, printing, scanning, and shredding are all basic needs that are staples of any coworking environment.
Presentation equipment and video conferencing tools are a must these days as well. Some spaces may even have specialty tech amenities like podcast recording studios.
Much like a traditional office environment, coworking office space comes with an unwritten code of conduct that maintains order. Some communities are more strict than others, but most will have some sort of terms and conditions to agree upon before you get keys to the castle.
For starters, you have to be respectful of other people. Some basic ways to do that include:
- Keeping the noise down and respecting boundaries. Don’t spread your things across multiple desks or play music where others can hear it.
- If people have headphones or are immersed in their work, then try to refrain from interrupting them.
- If you get a phone call, try stepping away to use a private room or phone booth if available, or simply step outside.
- If you’re using shared spaces like meeting rooms, be mindful of the time, so others aren’t waiting on you to start their meetings on time.
- If you’re utilising the kitchen or bathroom onsite, take an extra moment to clean up after yourself.
Ultimately, it comes down to common-sense habits. Treat the space and others like you’d want to be treated, and you’ll find coworking to be a very enjoyable experience.
Booking a space / tour
Finding flexible workspaces near you isn’t hard, especially if you live near a larger city in Australia. Look for a coworking space that fits your unique needs, that appreciates both form and function, and that has all the amenities you expect.